Custom video metadata
To enrich your video, VIXY supports adding multiple types of custom metadata fields. This includes text, date, list-of-values (controlled lists), all supporting either a single value or multiple values.
VIXY also supports a special type of field called Linked Entries (Entry-id List), which allows assigning a video to a group of related videos.
The standard meta data fields on a video entry
Textual custom metadata fields are indexed in VIXY’s search engine, while list-of-values can be used as custom filters in playlists and in media queries.
Custom fields can easily be added through the OVP and more than one schema can be created. More advanced custom metadata capabilities are available via the VIXY APIs.
Accessing and entering custom metadata field values can be done via the Custom data tab in the OVP.
Using VIXY’s APIs it is possible to enhance your own applications with video custom metadata, supporting your interface guidelines and business workflows.
Custom fields are not provided with added functionality. For example, for the Searchable On custom field: Google Enterprise Search does not automatically make the entry available on Google Enterprise Search. The example reflects a method of creating custom fields to support this functionality.
You can create a unique metadata schema. You can manage the entire schema using the OVP. You can add the following types of fields:
- Text field – Values are free text.
- Text select list – Similar to the text field, also known as List of Values. Allows the publisher to define a list of fields to use. After you enter the values, a select box element enables you to select a value from the existing list (for example, countries or months.)
- Date - A date field
- Entry ID list - A list to a different entry (asset) that can be used to create compound structure. Examples include Related Videos and linking a trailer to a full-length film.
As a best practice, we recommend richly mapping your media assets with metadata. This will make your assets more findable and more usable as business objects.
You can fill in the values for the defined schema for each media asset (entry). The UI elements are built per the field type supporting text fields, check boxes for multiple selections (from predefined values list), date selector (for date fields), text list (for multiple value fields), and linked entries (for creating structure).
The schemas you customize may be used for viewing and editing, as well as for filtering, search, and syndication rules. Custom data may be used as a condition for distributing content. For example, if you are trying to distribute data and a custom data field has been defined and is expected by the distribution channel — if the custom data is not received, the content will not be distributed.
Searching (and creating syndication rules) by a custom field is integrated into the OVP UI and work flows
How to create your unique metadata schema.
Go to settings (cog wheel right top) and click on custom data in the submenu.
- Go to settings
- Click custom data
- Click Add New Schema
- The new metadata Schema window appears
- Select what entity to apply the metadata to: Options or Entries or Categories
- Enter a Name and Description
- Enter the System Name (optional). This field is required if you are uploading content using Bulk XML files or if you need access to the schema via the API
- Click “Add Custom Field”
- The custom data fields will now appear at your Entries or Categories